First Great Western
About First Great Western
First Great Western operate high speed intercity, regional and branchline rail services in and out of London Paddington to South Wales, the South and the South West of England. Carrying more than 1.5 million passengers per week on over 9000 services, they are one of the most complex rail networks in the UK. First Great Western also provide commuter trains to the borders of London such as Reading and Slough. First Great Western was named Train Operator of the year in 2010.
Popular First Great Western Destinations & Routes
- Major train hubs on the First Great Western route include Cardiff, Bristol Parkway, Bristol Temple Meads, Swansea, Bath Spa, Exeter stations, Southampton and Plymouth.
- First Great Western also run rail services to Gatwick Airport and Brighton.
- First Great Western run services along the former First Great Western Links, Wessex Trains and First Great Western routes.
- They operate along some of the most scenic railways in England passing through the beautiful countryside and popular seaside resorts of The Cotswolds, Devon and Cornwall branching out as far as Newquay, Truro and Penzance.
First Great Western Network Map (©First Great Western)
Top First Great Western Fares
There are some fantastic cheap advance fares available for travel on the First Great Western route. Check out our favourites below:
London - Cardiff From £11.50 *
Bristol - London From £10.00 *
London - Oxford From £4.00*
Exeter - London From £12.00*
*Please note that the fares shown above are single advance fares for travel up to 12 weeks in advance from 29/12/11. Advance fares are sold subject to availability and are not available on all routes.
- First Great Western first class passengers enjoy table seats with power, complimentary refreshments and newspapers and a selection of snacks from the Express café is available for you to purchase at your seat.
- There is also a dedicated 1st class quiet carriage.
- In addition, all 1st class ticket holders benefit from access to the first class lounges at Paddington and Cardiff.
- In standard class First Great Western Carriages, power points are located by the seats so you can work or charge your phone as you travel.
- If you're looking for a bit of peace and quiet to relax during your journey, there is a standard class quiet carriage.
- Drinks and snacks and activity packs for those travelling with children are available from the Express Café onboard high speed trains.
Travel Entertainment Class
First Great Western have installed TV monitors into the head rests of their of new entertainment carriages in over 50 of their high speed trains - enjoy comedy, drama, sport and kids entertainment from the comfort of your seat!
First Great Western Customer Service Contact Details
Primary tel: 08457 000 125
First Great Western
Cycle Reservations Tel: 08457 000 125
Assisted Travel Tel: 0800 197 1329