Trains To Cardiff
Why Book Trains To Cardiff
The Welsh capital is known for its world class sporting and entertainment venues and its rich cultural heritage. The home of Cardiff Blues rugby team and Cardiff City Football Club, the Millenium Stadium hosts both national rugby and football matches. Other must sees include Cardiff Castle and the redeveloped Old Docklands, which now offers visitors great opportunities for shopping and dining out, as well as watersports, museums and festivals. Take a boat out into Cardiff Bay or enjoy a meal overlooking the water. The city also serves as the gateway to South Wales and The Brecon Beacons.
Book Early for the cheapest trains to Cardiff
Booking trains to Cardiff in advance, could save you anything up to 80% on the usual cost of day of departure tickets. The cheapest train tickets to Cardiff , known as advance type tickets normally become available around 12 weeks in advance of the date of travel. Take a look at how much you could save by booking trains to Cardiff early.
|Journey||Walk up fare price*||Advance Ticket price*||Saving|
|Bristol - Cardiff||£12.10||From Just £3.10||£9.00|
|Birmingham-Cardiff||£53.50||From Just £15.60||£37.90|
|Edinbugh - Cardiff||£166.30||From Just £52.80||£113.50|
|Glasgow - Cardiff||£147.00||From Just £63.50||£83.50|
|London - Cardiff||£42.00||From Just £18.30||£23.70|
|Manchester-Cardiff||£67.60||From Just £16.00||£51.60|
|Norwich - Cardiff||£121.40||From Just £24.40||£97.00|
|Newcastle-Cardiff||£148.10||From Just £43.20||£104.90|
|York-Cardiff||£59.40||From Just £40.00||£19.40|
* Walk on fares shown are a mixture of super off-peak, off peak singles and anytime singles where off peak tickets are not available. Advance fares shown are all advance singles for standard class travel only available in advance and sold subject to availability.
Rail Routes To Cardiff
First Great Western and Cross Country Trains operate trains to Cardiff from Bristol taking 30m, with 3 trains per hour. The journey from London Paddington the journey takes 2 hours. There are also direct trains to Cardiff from Gloucester (1 hr) and Birmingham New Street (2 hrs) with 2-3 services an hour. Most of the trains to Cardiff from Wales and The Welsh Marches are operated by Arriva Trains Wales. Trains to Cardiff from Newport take around 15 m with 7 services every hour. Swansea is only a hour journey away with two services every hour, and one service every hour to Holyhead taking 4 3/4 hr - 5 h via Shrewsbury or Crewe.
Trains to Cardiff call at over 20 stations in and around the city. Cardiff's main and busiest station is Cardiff Central, alight here for the Millenium Stadium. Cardiff's second busiest station Cardiff Queen Street is also located in the city centre, just north of the main station. Cardiff Cathays serves Cardiff University and museum, and Cardiff Bay is south of the city for the Welsh Assembly.
Tips For Finding Cheap Trains To Cardiff
1. Check our Cheapest Fare Finder
- If you're completely flexible with your travel times, our realtime cheapest fare finder tool is just the ticket to finding cheap trains to London!
- Our cheapest fare finder tool searches a wider time frame than our ordinary search to flag up cheaper train tickets at different times of the day.
- Just click on the 'advanced options' tab on the bottom left hand side of the booking engine and select the option marked 'find the cheapest fares throughout the day'
2. Try Booking Split Tickets
- If there are no cheap advance rail fares on your route or you need flexible rail tickets, split ticketing or breaking the journey down into two or more smaller portions with a separate train ticket for each section could be the key to finding cheap trains to Cardiff.
- In many cases you won't even need to leave the train. Split ticket savings are available on 100s of routes across the National Rail network and are not limited to specific rail journeys or to particular train companies.
3. Tips For Finding Cheap Trains To London
- Cheap train tickets are only available in limited quantities and are sold on a first come, first served basis so if you know you're going to be travelling, plan ahead and book well in advance.
- Cheap train tickets are often available until 6pm the night before travel, so even if you've left it till to the last minute, cheap train tickets offering savings of up to 30% on the cost of tickets bought on the day, could still be on sale.
- Cheap advance train tickets normally limit you to travelling on the trains booked. Even if you can't commit to travelling on a specific train, avoid travelling in rush hour- travelling off peak is cheaper!
- If you don't mind travelling for longer for cheaper, try searching for slower/overtaken trains to find cheaper trains to London
- If more than one company operates services along your route or there is more than one way to get to your destination e.g. going via, or avoiding London,comparing different train companies and different routes could save you £££s
So don't delay, check your route for cheap trains to Cardiff with Raileasy today, planning ahead could save you a small fortune!